Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I have been reading a book recently that has brought many new ideas and challenges that I would like to step up to and face/ embrace. The question that the book deals with is, " What are we doing with our lives, beyond Sunday?" How are we investing time in others' lives to show them God's love? To help them grow, and mature? MY question is, am I living what I speak? I think this poem, taken out of this book really speaks clearly.


Beyond Sunday" by Woodie J. Stevens
"I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day;
I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way.
The eye is a better pupil, more willing than the ear;
Find counsel is confusing, but example is always clear.
And the best of all the preachers are the men who live their creeds,
For to see a good sermon put in action is what everybody needs.
I can soon learn how to do it if you will let me see it done;
I can watch your hand in action, but your tongue too fast may run.
And the lectures you deliver may be very wise and true,
But I'd rather get my lesson by observing what you do.
For I may misunderstand you and the high advice you give,
But there is no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.
When I see a deed of kindness, I am eager to be kind.
When a weaker brother stumbles, and a strong man stands behind.
Just to see if he can help hhim , then the wish grows strong in me
To become as big and thoughtful as I know that friend to be.
And all travelers can witness that the best of guides today
Is not the one who tells them, but the one who shows the way.
One good man teaches many; med believe what they behold.
One deed of kindness noted is worth forty that are told.
Who stands with men of honor learns to hold his honor dear,
For right living speaks a language which to everyone is clear.
Though an able speaker sharms me with his eloquence, I say,
I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day."


Ask yourself, what are you living?

1 comments:

Leah & Jon said...

Wow! Ouch!